Monday, September 19, 2005

 

Slow Summer + South Swell = Surf Frenzy

After the fact South Swell Surf Report
Friday - I took the day off from work sick, (cough). Went to the Lane first, crowded, so I checked out all the spots west of there in town and then decided to check out some spots outside of town. Those spots were crowded too plus they looked small and windy, so I drove further up to check out a certain cove North of town. It was crowded, but was working, with big lefts at the South end of the cove. I suited up and paddled out to the much less crowded morth end, just to get warmed up, leaving my car key hidden under a sock in the field. (My Bodyglove wetsuit has a poorly located key pocket right at the shoulder blade in the back, so I can never close the suit until after I have locked the car, resulting in more coldness than necessary if I try to use the pocket).

After dodging closeout set waves and waiting around forever for something surfable, but not yet feeling like I wanted to deal with the crowd at the South end, I noticed a school bus load of kids had arrived at the beach and seemed to be carrying around white plastic bags. Crap! Tomorrow is Coastal Beach Cleanup Day and they must have come early. My key is in danger of getting found and thrown away. I paddled in and indeed, the sock and my key were gone. I inquired discreetly and it turns out a teacher had found the key. She pulled it out of her garbage bag and said, "I felt bad for whoever lost this key." I wanted to say, "then why didn't you leave it there?", but I kept my tongue in check.

I returned to SC for some lunch and then headed back to the Lane. The wind has picked up a bit and things are looking kinda inconsistent, so I opt to head back home to do some errands, dreaming of Saturday morning.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?